REMINDER: Join the Mayors’ Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism and Bigotry by End of Day Today

  • To: <mayor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: REMINDER: Join the Mayors’ Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism and Bigotry by End of Day Today
  • From: Tom Cochran <actionalert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 15:01:16 +0000

Title: REMINDER: Join the Mayors’ Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism and Bigotry by End of Day Today
Join the Mayors’ Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism & Bigotry by C.O.B. Tomorrow, Thursday August 17
View this email in your browser
TO:           The Mayor

FROM:     Tom Cochran, CEO and Executive Director
On Tuesday, I sent you an alert inviting you to join the Mayor's Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism and Bigotry, and over 100 mayors have already signed on.

Click here to review and sign the compact.

We plan to announce its establishment at noon ET on Friday and hope to be able to list you as a part of it. Please sign on to the compact by midnight ET tonight.

When signing on, you will be asked to log in to your USCM account or create a new account using your work email address. If you have login issues please email us at support@xxxxxxxxxxxx

What happened in Charlottesville last weekend reminded us all that violent hate and racism are very much alive in America in 2017. We are aware that this was not a singular event and that white supremacist groups are planning rallies in other cities this weekend and in the future.

The Conference of Mayors and mayors across the nation stood with Charlottesville through statements and tweets. We believe it is time now for mayors to come together in a formal way to combat hate, extremism and bigotry in their cities and in our nation.

Conference President, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu has designated Conference Trustee, Austin Mayor Steve Adler to lead our efforts in this area. As a former board member of the Anti-Defamation League, Mayor Adler has connected us with top leadership of that organization – an organization we have worked closely with on hate crimes and other issues over the years. Working with the ADL, we have developed the Mayors’ Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism and Bigotry

The mayors’ compact has 10 components:
  1. Expressly Rejecting Extremism, White Supremacy and All Forms of Bigotry
  2. Denouncing All Acts of Hate Wherever They Occur
  3. Ensuring Public Safety While Protecting Free Speech and Other Basic Constitutional Rights
  4. Calling for Fully-Resourced Law Enforcement and Civil Rights Investigations of Domestic Terrorism and Hate Crimes
  5. Elevating and Prioritizing Anti-Bias and Anti-Hate Programs in Our Nation’s Schools
  6. Supporting Targeted Communities and Bringing Together Civic and Community Leaders to Build Trust
  7. Celebrating Diversity, Promoting Inclusivity and Challenging Bias
  8. Promoting Law Enforcement Training on Responding to and Reporting Hate Incidents, Hate Crimes and Domestic Terrorism
  9. Encouraging Residents in their Communities to Report Hate Incidents and Crimes, Including Using Hot Lines and Online Tools
  10. Maintaining Civil Rights Enforcement and Strengthening Hate Crime Laws When Necessary
If you haven't already signed on, click here to join.

Thanks as always for your support of our efforts. If you need any further information, please contact Conference Director of Public Safety Laura DeKoven Waxman at lwaxman@xxxxxxxxxxxx.
Copyright © 2017 The United States Conference of Mayors, All rights reserved.
To change your contact information, please visit https://community.usmayors.org/.

Our mailing address is:
The United States Conference of Mayors
1620 I St., N.W.
4th Floor
Washington, DC 20006

Add us to your address book

You can update your contact informationupdate your preferences or unsubscribe from this list