PUBLIC INPUT: Ride Sharing

-----Original Message-----
From: City Manager
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:27 PM
To: Holzworth, Carla <Carla.Holzworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Public Input Submission

Time to take the survey : 15 min. , 53 sec.
Submission recorded on : 8/23/2017 12:27:25 PM

NAME/ADDRESS:  Janelle Lawrence,  PO Box 220010, Milwaukie, OR, 97269

TOPIC:  Ride Sharing - please act to bring ride sharing to Corvallis

MEETING DATE:  8/24/2017

Dear Corvallis Mayor & Council,

I am writing you today to show my support for Uber. I believe an increase to their service area will greatly benefit all of those on our roadways. There are many reasons for this including less congestion, cleaner air and an increase to the local economy. But from my perspective Uber offers an even great service. For those that have made a poor decision to drink and get behind the wheel, it is a large part of assisting Oregonians that are on diversion to get their life back on track.

The ability to call for an Uber allows on diversion to continue to work, make their court appointments and continue to participate in their families' lives for the next year while their driver's license is suspended. Without this opportunity, we have found that the other option they turn to is to drive illegally.

When we provide education on impaired and distracted driving, Uber is a part of our toolkit. We know that one that first drink is consumed your brain simply can't make a clear decision on your ability to drive. Planning on Uber as your ride after a night out is the safest way to ride for you and other on the road.

I see the results every day of making one poor decision to drink and get behind the wheel. I urge you to expand Uber's service into Corvallis so that your residents and visitors can arrive home safely.

Safe Travels,

Janelle Lawrence
Executive Director
Oregon Impact

If you would like to be contacted by the Mayor and City Council with any follow-up questions, please enter an email address or phone number below.

Disclaimer: This e-mail message is a public record of the City of Corvallis. The contents may be subject to public disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law and subject to the State of Oregon Records Retention Schedules. (OAR:166.200.0200-405)