Summer 2017 Newsletter: And So Begins a New Year!

  • To: ward1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Summer 2017 Newsletter: And So Begins a New Year!
  • From: Sustainable Cities Initiative <sci@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 19:00:16 -0400 (EDT)

We've begun planning for the TriMet partnership. Find out what next year has in store for SCYP. Read more >>

A lot has changed in the last year. Urbanism Next, a once fledgling research initiative has grown into an innovative program, and we've hired a Program Manager to run it. Meet Becky>>

When an SCYP partnership ends, the city partner digs in. We lent Albany our brilliant SCI graduate fellow for the summer to help them transition, and begin implementing student ideas. See what Kerry has been up to>>

SCI was honored to win the University of Oregon's Town and Gown Sustainability Award with our previous partner, the City of Medford! Read about the award>>
A Letter from the Co-Directors

Dear Reader,

This summer has been a anxiety-provoking one for climate activists and sustainability advocates around the world. In June, the U.S. federal government made the inexcusable choice to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord. They have also made incredible attempts to slowly, but surely dismantle decades of environmental protections that help preserve our planet for generations to come. Every day, it becomes more clear that there is no leadership at the federal level working to protect us, and transition us into a sustainable future.

The work that is done by cities, states and locales has never been more important. That is why we're doubling down on our efforts:
  • Our Sustainable City Year Program is growing. This year, we'll begin our largest and most dynamic partnership yet with Portland's transit agency, TriMet. But that's not all: for the first time, we will engage two different city partners in one year. In a few months, we will begin to pilot our new SCYP Small City with Oregon's newest city, La Pine. Targeting both large and small institutions ensures all of Oregon works for sustainable progress.
  • The EPIC-Network is expanding around the world. In our last newsletter, we told you about the EPIC framework (based on the original SCYP model) going global after an incredibly successful conference in Bonn, Germany. Just in the first several months after the conference, we've seen institutions in Zambia, Kenya and Mexico begin implementation. And in Novemberwe will be in Capetown, South Africa working with the United Nations, the International City Managers Association (ICMA) and FRACTAL (Future Resilience for African Cities and Lands) to provide a more specific training workshop for universities and communities throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
  • Urbanism Next is taking flight. We've garnered interest that will help transition the initiative into a dominant voice that will shape policy for the impact technology will create in cities. We've also hired a program manager - you can read about her in our newsletter story this quarter.

Sustainable Cities Initiative | | sci@xxxxxxxxxxx | http://sci.uoregon.edu
6206 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-6206
Sustainable Cities Initiative, 6206 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-6206
Sent by sci@xxxxxxxxxxx in collaboration with
Constant Contact