Re: Asphalt Plant Complaint

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comments.  I'm very sorry to hear that your family is having these ongoing problems with the asphalt plant.  Unfortunately the City of Corvallis doesn't have jurisdiction because the plant is in the County.  I would encourage you to file a formal complaint with DEQ on their website, Oregon.gov/deq, and to contact Benton County at 541-766-6800. It is very important for your government representatives to know that this is a widespread and serious problem. Certainly Barley Hill is quite a distance from the plant.  I don't hear the noise at my house near the country club but have smelled it on several occasions in the early morning.  It is truly obnoxious.

While I don't feel I can do much besides continue to voice these concerns with other agencies, I do want to continue to be informed about the issue.  Please contact me any time. I don't check this email address often but use penny.york@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Or you can call me at 541-90-3608.

From: "Tom Picht" <tpicht@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "mayor" <mayor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ward1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "city manager" <city.manager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "jim day" <jim.day@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:30:11 AM
Subject: Asphalt Plant Complaint

Mayor Traber, Councilor York and City Manager Shepard:
I've been following the recent articles from reporter Jim Day at the GT in regards to the odor and noise issues around the Philomath asphalt plant.  I would like to join Mr. Rollie Baxter and his shared concerns as they are now affecting my wife's and mine quality of life.

I live in the Barley Hill area of Ward 1 and up until recently, the only consistent issue that we've dealt with is late night noise.  Obviously the plant is not in my immediate backyard, but nonetheless we could consistently hear the noise from the asphalt plant as we would spend late evenings outside on our patio.

However, this past week we started to smell and taste the petroleum based fumes being generated from the work site.  Personally, my eyes have been irritated by the fumes being generated the past two evenings and I could actually taste the petroleum being generated.  Unfortunately, my wife has experienced all of this and then some, as she's been fighting migraine headaches as a result of the toxic fumes.  When one has to shut all doors and windows in attempt to minimize the fumes, enough is enough!

I understand that the DEQ has gotten involved but to date there has been no resolution to the problem.  I am of the opinion that enough time has elapsed to have a resolution to this issue, if not long-term at least in the short-term.

I sincerely hope that this group of folks finds the time to push the DEQ for an immediate short-term solution.  Furthermore, I would hope that a long-term resolution can be found to prevent this type of industry from being allowed in an area surrounded by residential dwellings.

Regards,

Tom Picht