Pledge to move America OFF Fossil Fuels

Dear Councilor Hogg,

My name is Annabelle and I work with the OFF Fossil Fuels Campaign from Food & Water Action. I am writing to ask you to sign on to a pledge to move OFF fossil fuels and on to renewable energy. In light of President Trump pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement, bold action at the state and local level is more important than ever. Below I’ve included some background on why this is necessary and the pledge language. You can sign the pledge here

The carbon budgets, simple projections for how much carbon dioxide could be emitted into the atmosphere over time for a given chance of staying under a given level of warming, released by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change lead to a stark conclusion: we have only a few years left of “business as usual” before we will have past the threshold that will lock in severe climate chaos.

Already, with a 1°C rise in global temperature we have seen dramatic changes across the planet. The IPCC noted in 2014 that “recent climate changes have had widespread impacts on human and natural systems.” Among the observed effects are violent storms, droughts, floods, acidifying and rapidly warming oceans, and altered growing seasons.

In releasing its carbon budgets, the IPCC stated that to have a better than 66 percent chance of avoiding a 1.5°C rise in temperature, we could only emit an additional 400 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide, beginning in 2011. Since then we have released about 215 gigatonnes, meaning we have only 185 gigatonnes left before we the odds of limiting warming below 1.5°C. The IPCC tells us that we could trigger 37 climate tipping points at 1.5°C.

The science is clear – we have to act now to drastically reduce our greenhouse gas emissions in order to avoid the worst effects of climate change.

As part of our new national campaign – OFF Fossil Fuels – Food & Water Action is asking elected leaders across the country to sign a pledge to support transitioning off of fossil fuels and on to clean, renewable energy by 2035.

I’m hoping that as a progressive, climate and environmental leader in Oregon you will be willing to sign the pledge. I’ve copied the text here and include a link to where you can sign below.

“I accept the science that says humankind’s use of fossil fuels is the primary driver of dangerous global climate change.

“Therefore, as your elected representative, I pledge to be a leader on climate change issues and will support efforts in my community to move us off fossil fuels and achieve a just transition to 100% clean, renewable energy. While current research suggests that this transition will need to be completed by 2035 at the latest to avoid catastrophic climate impacts, we cannot wait and must act now.

“I will oppose any project that will expand fossil fuel production, and its use or transport, and will work to quickly phase out existing fossil fuel infrastructure in my jurisdiction.  I vow to put people and the planet before any corporation’s profits, and will support efforts to address the toxic legacy of fossil fuels in all of our communities, especially those most impacted including indigenous peoples, communities of color, low income people and rural communities.”

You can sign the pledge here

Thank you for your continued leadership on these issues and I look forward to working with you over the next few years to make a just, equitable transition to 100 % clean energy.

Annabelle Acton-Bond

Distributed Organizing

Food & Water Watch/
Food & Water Action