An Apology from the Arts Center

  • To: Cynthia Spencer <cynthia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: An Apology from the Arts Center
  • From: Cynthia Spencer <cynthia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 09:18:25 -0700

Dear friends,
Below is a message of apology we will be making public later today.

If you have questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Warmly,

Cynthia

-----------

We at the Arts Center are sorry for, and deeply regret, combining an image and word that has long-standing negative connotations.
The word “chocolate” when associated with a face of color, can devalue and depersonalize people.

This impact was not our intention!

As an organization that knows the power of images and words, we were wrong to not recognize this association in the poster for our upcoming fundraising event.

We are grateful to the friend who stood up for racial justice and pointed out that our poster was hurtful.
We humbly ask forgiveness from those who we have hurt or disappointed by our actions.

If you were also negatively affected by our poster and are wiling to share your feelings and thoughts with us, we hope you will!
We are hosting time for a public conversation, Thursday, Oct 26, 5:30 pm at The Arts Center.
We also welcome private comments and you can send them to me directly, Cynthia Spencer, Executive Director, cynthia@thartscenter.net541-754-1551, ext 654, 700 SW Madison Ave., Corvallis, OR 97333

We are seeking diversity and equity training so that this will not happen again.
--
Cynthia Spencer-Hadlock
Executive Director

Saturday, October 7, CH2M Hill Alumni Center

Fostering creativity and engagement with the arts,
to inspire personal growth and community well-being.