[SPAM] Protect school children from pesticides

  • To: "Ms. Barbara Bull" <ward4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [SPAM] Protect school children from pesticides
  • From: Paul Howard <bird041167@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 18:17:22 -0700 (PDT)

Ms. Barbara Bull,

Dear Elected Official:

This school year, school policies must protect children from pesticides by adopting organic land and building management policies and serving organic food in cafeterias. At the start of the school year, it is critical for school administrators to make sure that students and teachers are learning and teaching in an environment where no hazardous pesticides are used in the school’s buildings or on playing fields. It is also essential that children have access to organic food in food programs and manage school gardens organically.

To that end, I urge the immediate cessation of the use of pesticides on school property, including buildings and grounds. Studies show children’s developing organs create “early windows of great vulnerability” during which exposure to pesticides can cause great damage. Many of the pesticides that act as nervous system poisons are clearly associated with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and autism. The concerns about pesticides’ toxic effects are supported by the findings of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), which concludes, “Children encounter pesticides daily and have unique susceptibilities to their potential toxicity.”

The good news is that organic management practices and products are available, so toxic pesticides are not necessary. We can use cultural, mechanical, and biological management strategies, and, as a last resort, defined least-toxic pesticides. See Beyond Pesticides ManageSafe(TM) database (http://www.beyondpesticides.org/resources/managesafe/choose-a-pest-2database) for managing all insects and weeds without toxic pesticides.

The science speaks for itself. If you would like more information on the hazards of pesticides, particularly to children, please visit the webpage http://www.beyondpesticides.org/programs/children-and-schools/hazards-of-pesticides
Please act in the health interests of our children and teachers by stopping the use of pesticides in our schools.

Sincerely,

Paul Howard
2777 SW Wake Robin Place
Corvallis, OR 97333