[CSD-News] CSD News- September 18, 2017

Fall Announcements

·      Community Input on the Draft Facilities Plans is Invited!

Several
Community Information Nights are scheduled during the month of October at each school, please plan to attend and provide your perspective. Dates are listed at the following link: https://www.csd509j.net/departments/facilities-and-maintenance/long-range-planning/facilities-planning-committee/ The school board will be presented with a final draft in December. Questions about facilities planning may be directed to Facilities and Transportation Director, Kim Patten at 541-757-4487 or by email at kim.patten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Share your thoughts with us at the Corvallis Farmer's Market Information table this Saturday, September 23! Stop by our information table at the Farmer's Market to learn more about the draft facilities plan. District leaders will be available to review the plan and answer your questions.

Sustainability is a fundamental value in the Corvallis community. As part of the current long range facilities planning process, the Corvallis School District will host an Eco-Charette designed to gather sustainability goals for the long-range facilities plan. The meeting is open to the public and will be held on October 7, from 9 am – 11:30 am in the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library meeting room. This meeting is an opportunity for community members to learn about the district’s draft facilities plan and current sustainability activities. Participants will have the opportunity to brainstorm sustainability ideas and goals for the draft plan and will prioritize those goals. Registration is required due to meeting room capacity. Please call 541-766-4856 or email communications@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you plan to attend.

Highlights of the Superintendent’s Update to the School Board

The complete September 14 update is available at the following link: https://www.csd509j.net/news/superintendents-report/

Enrollment

The 2017-18 school year started on September 6. As of last week, total district enrollment is 6,731 students, while our projected enrollment was 6,632. Overall enrollment is 99 students above our projections and we have added teaching staff to address high class loads.

Thank you to the Corvallis Public School Foundation

We are grateful to the Corvallis Public Schools Foundation for their support of kindergarten students this fall with a grant of $20,500. The goal of the Foundation with this grant is to close the kindergarten readiness gap and, in the long run, to improve graduation rates across our district. Thank you to our community donors and to the Foundation for their support.

Statement of Support of Inclusion and Diversity in Our District
Our community is diverse and our schools include students from more than fifty birth countries. We know that many families and staff are uncertain and concerned about how the announced changes to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA) will affect our current students, graduates and families. We want to remind and reassure our families and our community that the Corvallis School District welcomes and educates all students. I am proud that last December our school board unanimously approved Resolution Number 16-1201- Rights of Undocumented Students and Protocols for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Access to Schools. Since that time, we have developed and implemented a plan to train all teachers, administrators and other staff on how to respond if ICE personnel attempt to enter CSD property or request information about our students and their families. As a reminder, we do not collect student immigration status.

We are committed to supporting the success of every student and creating a safe and welcoming environment for every family. Our schools should be safe places where everyone treats each other with kindness and respect, regardless of race, culture, socioeconomic status or language. I am committed to making sure our schools are safe spaces for all students to learn and grow.

Fall/Winter Inclusion Events

Our equity leadership team will continue to collaborate with community partners to support students and families with events such as Know Your Rights, DACA awareness training and how to support students impacted by recent events (for staff), and a special program offered through the Mexican Consulate to provide information and resources for passports and consular ID cards for Mexican citizens.

New Community Partnership

Community is one of our core values and developing stronger community partnerships is a priority as we work to provide a well-rounded and culturally relevant education for our students. Last spring, our teaching and learning team began working to create a family welcome center at Western View Center (which is located just north of the district administration building). During that time, we learned that the board of directors of Casa Latinos Unidos de Benton County was searching for a new location.

Casa Latinos Unidos is a 501(c) 3 non-profit whose mission is to facilitate the integration of Latinos into the broader community by promoting the well-being of Latino families, by providing opportunities for leadership and capacity building, supporting and advancing their equal rights and equal access, and creating a climate of tolerance and cross-cultural understanding. Casa Latinos Unidos de Benton County has been a key partner in our work around inclusive practices and removing systemic inequities in our system and we initiated a discussion about a possible new partnership and shared facility space.

After preliminary meetings with district staff and a tour of the site, the Casa Latinos Unidos board met and voted unanimously to relocate their operations to the Western View Center. Our facilities staff is drafting an agreement between the two organizations and we expect this facility to serve a wide range of student and family needs starting later this fall.

Student Artwork

Our student artwork on display this month in the board room is an exhibit from Linus Pauling 8th graders. They made a trip to Mary’s Peak last spring and were asked to reflect on the natural environment through paintings, drawings, and poems. Thank you to LPMS art teacher Claudia Hall for sharing this student work.