All- time record for Cultural Trust grant making!

Oregon Cultural Trust Newsletter
August 2017
One of the 86 Cultural Development Grant recipients for FY2018, Upstart Crow Studios drew rave reviews for their recent production of "Pinochio." Their grant will support access to theater programs for community youth.

All-time high for culture!
Cultural Trust awards $2.94 million to 136 Oregon nonprofits
Generous spring donors lifted Oregon Cultural Trust fundraising to a new high, resulting in a record $2.94 million in grants to 136 cultural nonprofits for fiscal year 2017-18.
The awards include a total of $735,887 to the Cultural Trust's five Statewide Partners (Oregon Arts Commission, Oregon Heritage Commission, Oregon Humanities, Oregon Historical Society and the State Historic Preservation Office); $735,887 to 45 County and Tribal Cultural Coalitions - for regranting in their communities; and $1,471,774 in competitive Cultural Development Grants to 86 cultural organizations across the state.
Funded projects include:
  • the "Racing to Change: Oregon's Civil Rights Years" interactive exhibit and community programming by the Oregon Black Pioneers in Salem;
  • theater lighting and sound equipment upgrades for the Florence Events Center;
  • the renovation of the historic Baker Orpheum Theatre to become a community performing arts center in Baker City;
  • exhibits and programs that highlight the LBGTQ community and Native youth as part of a Cultural Diversity Initiative by the High Desert Museum in Bend; and
  • transforming a major gallery at Portland Children's Museum into The Studio - a clay, maker and multi-purpose art space for families.
"Our donors really are incredible," said Carole Morse, chair of the Cultural Trust Board. "We anticipated holding the grant budget about even this year but their generosity ensured another record year of grant making. We are so grateful for their continued commitment to protecting Oregon's treasured cultural community."

"When Cultural Trust funding goes up, we all benefit," said Brian Rogers, the Cultural Trust's executive director. "Every dollar strengthens not just our cultural economy, but the quality of life that makes Oregon so special."

The Cultural Development Grants include first-time awards to 37 organizations (43 percent) and the largest average grant amount ever at $17,050. Half of the grants go to organizations outside the Portland Metro area. Cultural Development Grants fund projects that address access, capacity, creativity and preservation.

Renovation of the historic Baker Orpheum Theatre, to transform it into a community performing arts center, is one of the projects supported by a FY2018 Cultural Development Grant from the Oregon Cultural Trust.

Like us on Facebook Like us on Facebook!

Oregon Arts Commission | Oregon Cultural Trust, 775 Summer Street NE #200, Salem, OR 97301
Sent by cultural.trust@xxxxxxxxxxx in collaboration with
Constant Contact