RE: CPI

Hi Phil,

Thanks for sharing your view point. Trail maintenance is of high importance to me as the leader of Department and as a trail user. The trail system is included in CIP under unfunded projects on page24 of the current document. Steve McGettigan from the Parks Division will provide an update on trails at tonight’s meeting. Here’s some additional info that might help explain why certain projects are chosen as the priority. Any project in the next FY must have funding in place or it stays on the unfunded list. A reminder, SDC’s can’t be used for trail maintenance.

·        ADA pathways are required per our ADA compliance transition plan. We must demonstrate that we are making progress towards compliance. SDC’s are the funding source as the pathways increase capacity.

·        The tree arboretum is in response to the unhealthy fir trees in Avery Park which must be removed. The logging operation, the forestry reserve and SDC’s fund this project. A new trail through the arboretum with interpretive signs are included. We are taking an unfortunate situation and turning it into an opportunity to educate people on the importance of trees.

·        The community center has been a developing project for 20 years in preparation for the aging community which is currently reflected at 25% of Corvallis. Many older adults turn to parks and recreation to keep active and healthy. The current facility is at capacity with inadequate parking.

·        A second fenced dog park is in demand. Fenced dog parks provide an urban alternative to the off leashed areas in natural areas.

·        With every development application that the City receives Parks and Recreation staff evaluates for trail connections and requires those connections where appropriate.

I’m sure Steve will provide more information regarding trail work we have recently accomplished tonight. Here’s a few highlights.

·        We completed a 2 mile trail refurbishment at Crystal Lake Sports Fields funded through a DEQ penalty towards Hollngsworth and Voss

·        We constructed a new trail to replace an unauthorized trail. This was chosen in attempt to encourage people to park on West Hills rd since Oak Creek is often at or over capacity

·        We are refurbishing the trail system at Chip Ross Natural Area funded through the logging operation this week

·        We have applied for an RTP grant for new trails and refurbished trails at MLK, Jr. Park

·        We just completed the Marys River Boardwalk of 1,900 linear feet winding through the Marys River Natural Area

·        I’ve approached the Friends Corvallis of Parks and Recreation to adopt the Bald Hill trail refurbishing project. Staff calculated that we would need to raise $70,000-$80,000.

I agree with you Phil, that we can and do bundle projects to make the CIP $25,000 threshold. Unfortunately Parks and Recreation doesn’t have funding for refurbishment unless we log trees or receive a donation or grant. We actively pursue the latter two approaches. At this point, refurbishing trails will need to be piece meal, one park at a time unless City Council opts to include in a GO bond in the future.

I encourage you and all community members to contact me when you have questions and or concerns.

See you tonight.

Karen Emery, Director

Corvallis Parks and Recreation

541 754-1703