For KLAB August 22 meeting, some ideas about economic inequality. Bill Glassmire

August 21, 2017
Hello,

I trust that this finds each of you well.

For the discussion of reducing economic inequality at the August 22 KLAB
meeting, I wrote a short outline of what I think are some important questions.
I enclose the outline both at the end of this note and as an attached Word file.

Those questions are only my ideas. Anything else you think important, please
bring it along.

Thanks. Enjoy the day.

Best wishes,
Bill Glassmire, council liaison to KLAB

Reducing economic inequality
King Legacy Advisory Board
August 22, 2017
Bill Glassmire, KLAB liaison

Three broad questions about reducing economic inequality
Q1.     What kind of initiative might KLAB undertake?
Q2.     What projects/tasks would make up the initiative?
        I did not write anything about Q2 for this discussion.
Q3.     Does KLAB have the enthusiasm and energy to take up
        an initiative to reduce economic inequality?

Q1.     What kind of initiative might KLAB undertake?
A.      education
        I know only a very small number of people who might lead an education
initiative.
B.      propose a city position on (or response to) economic inequality
        For example, the city could formally recognize any company which attains
        specified inequality thresholds for employee compensation.
C.      a project with the objective of reducing economic equality in the
        city; for example,
        C1.     promote “blue-collar” health care jobs
        C2.     promote “blue-collar” jobs in food and beverage sector
        C3.     support initiatives for lower-cost housing

Q3.     Does KLAB have the enthusiasm and energy to take up
        an initiative to reduce economic inequality?
A.      Maybe KLAB already has enough to do?
B.      If there is an initiative, who would do the work?
        city staff?
        collaboration with Economic Development Advisory Board?
        collaboration with Corvallis School District, LBCC, OSU, other?