PUBLIC INPUT: Uber and Lyft

-----Original Message-----
From: City Manager
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 11:20 AM
To: Holzworth, Carla <Carla.Holzworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Public Input Submission

Time to take the survey : 13 min. , 41 sec.
Submission recorded on : 8/25/2017 11:20:13 AM

NAME/ADDRESS:   Jackson Cafazzo, 725 NW 31st St., Corvallis

TOPIC:  Uber and Lyft

MEETING DATE:  9/5/2017

Thank you for the opportunity for public input. I would like to present a counterpoint to the rhetoric you have been presented in favor of ride-hailing companies. These companies say they are beneficial, but I believe that they ultimately prey on their drivers, customers, and the communities they enter.

Vehicle investment cost, maintenance and risk are all placed on the shoulders of the individual, the easily replaceable drivers. Many lives are being ruined by Uber right now. OSU students will be encouraged to drive for Uber to make extra money, and will be offered loans for new cars on the promise that they will make a reasonably good income, but roughly 1/3 of that income will be absorbed by insurance, gas and depreciation of their vehicle, plus unforeseen maintenance. What is left does not provide a living wage. This leads to defaults because an already indebted population with untenable car payments and high interest rates are unlikely to make payments on time.

Uber said there will be a demand for cheap rides around town, but please consider: at what cost? I implore the Council consider the ecological, social and economical impact before approving this legislation. Do we want to promote the use of otherwise parked cars (when we have such a great bus system)? Do we want to encourage high-risk, low pay part time jobs that export profits to out of state corporations? Do we want to put the safety of our public in the hands of these corporations (by allowing them to regulate their own drivers)?

Uber and Lyft exist to disrupt traditional transportation. It is up to you to decide if it is worth giving up.

If ride-hailing is indeed in the future for Corvallis, I implore you to not to grant exclusive license to Uber and Lyft. A home-grown ride-hailing solution in the future could potentially provide the same supply and living wage, without the greed, like Ride Austin in Texas.

If you would like to be contacted by the Mayor and City Council with any follow-up questions, please enter an email address or phone number below.

Disclaimer: This e-mail message is a public record of the City of Corvallis. The contents may be subject to public disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law and subject to the State of Oregon Records Retention Schedules. (OAR:166.200.0200-405)