No New Fossil Fuel Infrastructure

Councilmember Glassmire,

My name is Nicholas Caleb. I'm the staff attorney at the Center for Sustainable Economy.

It's my understanding that my colleague, Daphne Wysham, has been in touch with you regarding the No New Fossil Fuel Infrastructure campaign and that you've endorsed the principles in Portland's Fossil Fuel Resolution.

In the last few months there have been a lot of developments in the world of fossil fuel infrastructure regulation, including a legal challenge to Portland's Fossil Fuel Terminal Zoning Amendments. In response, I'm reaching out to folks who are paying attention to the issue to provide updates on Portland's law and the no new fossil fuel infrastructure campaign in general.

Do you have any time (15-20 minutes) in the next few weeks when I could chat with you about these developments? If so, please let me know a good time and the best number to reach you at.

Also, I'd like to invite you to a webcast that Stand is hosting on Wed, Sept. 20 at 11 AM (PST) where many of these issues will be discussed. Details are provided below.
--

#ClimateIsLocal: Zoning out Fossil Fuels

Weds. Sept. 20 at 11 am Pacific/ 2 pm Eastern

Presenters:
Barry Buchanan, Whatcom County Council Member, Washington State
Daphne Wysham and Nick Caleb, Center for Sustainable Economy, Portland, OR
Matt Krogh, Extreme Oil Director, Stand.earth

Register here! This webcast is free and open to all.

Description: In the face of a storm of new infrastructure permit requests, local fossil fuel and climate activists are employing local land use rules and other municipal action to limit fossil fuel expansion and export projects. By changing the underlying rules of what kinds of developments are allowed, communities like Whatcom County, Washington, and Portland, Oregon, are starting to change the game in the fight to protect the climate. For years, climate activists have been focused on preventing one dirty fossil fuel project proposal after another. By changing the underlying rules of what kinds of proposals will be considered in the first place, these communities can effectively stopall future dirty energy expansion and export projects.  With no support, funding, or leadership on the climate coming from the federal government, these kinds of local strategies are critical to the success of our movement. Join activists working on this approach to learn what makes communities good candidates for this approach, and how to build support with elected leaders, the business community, and the public.

--
Best,

Nicholas Caleb
Staff Attorney