A bill to make September 11 a national day of mourning was introduced in the U.S. House on October 25, 2001, by Rep. Vito Fossella (R-NY) with 22 co-sponsors, among them eleven Democrats and eleven Republicans. The bill requested that the President designate September 11 of each year as Patriot Day.

Every year my community gathers down at the Commons surrounded by our first responders. We listen to speakers from the house, hear stories of that day, and listen to our local high school band play; all while sitting beneath the largest flag I have even seen being hung by two ladders on firetrucks.
I couldn't imagine spending Patriot Day any other way. Remember all those who lost their lives on this day 16 years ago.