Proposed City Sales Tax

  • To: ward8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed City Sales Tax
  • From: Gile Jay D <jaygile@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:02:40 -0700

I do not live in your Ward.  I am writing you because I feel that you bring a
fresh new perspective to the  council.    I have also given up trying to have a
meaningful dialog with my councilor. While I do support a general state wide
sales tax even discussion of a local general tax is a waste of time.  Early
last spring I suggested to my councilor and the major that they consider a city
sales tax on restaurant and prepared ready to eat food modeled after the voter
approved taxes in Ashland and Yachats.  While these cities rely more on tourism
than Corvallis, every time there is a sporting event at OSU, we have a lot of
out of town visitors.  Plus eating out is an option.  I don’t believe that
local restaurants, bars, etc won’t lose any business.

I got no response on this topic from my councilor and just a vague response
from the mayor.  Has this ever been a topic of discussion in council meetings?

Thanks for your time and effort.