GOP Tax Proposal Impacts Charitable Giving

  • To: "Frank Hann" <ward8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GOP Tax Proposal Impacts Charitable Giving
  • From: "Americans for the Arts" <advocacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 Sep 2017 19:53:50 -0500
  • Vv-message-group: uusV9MPZTIURWcw52d7nrtvs__lm2t76qow_42sdBDYSAKK_pya02kxyAU-Txav_Kp3-2JWuxzjucWKSRDiffvNLepfTa9_RtsTbiS-fyic
  • Vv-message-id: Ok12Lm1iPpi7YT1Gxuigvw

Title: Americans for the Arts
Dear Frank,Republican Congressional leaders released their long-awaited tax reform framework yesterday on Capitol Hill, which could have a negative impact on charitable giving.
Dear Frank,

Republican Congressional leaders released their long-awaited tax reform framework yesterday on Capitol Hill, which could have a negative impact on charitable giving.

Americans for the Arts cares deeply about fully preserving the charitable tax deduction incentive since nonprofit arts organizations rely on donations made by individual taxpayers for approximately 25 percent of their budgets.  We want to share our statement as well as highlights of our analysis below.
  • We commend the GOP proposal for preserving the charitable tax deduction for those taxpayers who itemize such qualifying expenses as mortgage interest, property taxes, and charitable gifts.
  • However, the GOP plan also proposes to double the standard deduction. This would have the impact of moving taxpayers away from itemizing their deductions. While this change would simplify the average tax return, it would also have a negative impact on the future of charitable giving as whole.  It is anticipated that this plan could cause charities to lose up to $13 billion in donations each year.
  • Congress can avoid unintentionally harming charities by including a new “universal charitable tax deduction” provision that could be made available to ALL taxpayers, both itemizers and non-itemizers. With the incentive of a charitable tax deduction given to all taxpayers, it is anticipated that charities could see a significant increase in donations, a $4.8 billion net increase in giving.
Please take two minutes to help us urge Congress to expand charitable giving incentives to all American taxpayers.  GOP leaders plan to move a tax package quickly though Congress by the end of this year using this framework as a starting-point.

Help #ProtectGiving.  Charities are the bedrock of our society, dedicated to advancing the public good.

Want to do more? Help us continue this important work by also becoming an official member of the Arts Action Fund. If you are not already a member, play your part by joining the Arts Action Fund today - it's free and easy to join.

Want to share this story on your social media channels?  Use this link!

1000 Vermont Avenue NW
6th Floor
Washington DC . 20005
T 202.371.2830
F 202.371.0424

One East 53rd Street . 2nd Floor
New York NY . 10022
T 212.223.2787
F 212.980.4857

info@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.AmericansForTheArts.org
www.ArtsActionFund.org

If you were forwarded this email from a friend, click here to subscribe to receive alerts!

Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.