T4A PNW Update: The House is in the House

  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: T4A PNW Update: The House is in the House
  • From: Chris Rall <chris.rall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 10:34:27 -0700

Friends,

The House was in session and busy this week, passing autonomous vehicle legislation, and FY18 appropriations, which could affect transit, TIGER and Amtrak funding.

House makes final decisions on cuts to TIGER, transit construction & rail
The House has wrapped up votes on its transportation budget for 2018, voting to end the TIGER competitive grant program and goes along with the President’s request to eliminate funding that supports local communities as they build new transit systems including in our region. Amendments to defund our nation’s passenger rail network failed. Many amendments that could help restore funding for these programs — or magnify the damage already proposed by the Appropriations Committee were ruled out-of-order. Our amendment tracker here has the details.  Thanks to everyone who joined our national sign-on letter on this issue (see attached), and/or contacted their member of Congress! We’ve made a strong case for funding these programs as the Senate considers appropriations in the coming months. Both chambers are now targeting December to come together on a final agreement on FY 2018 spending levels.

House abdicates methodical policymaking on AVs
Congress has taken the first major legislative step to encourage & govern the roll-out of automated vehicles, passing the SELF DRIVE Act of 2017 by a voice vote. Unfortunately, the House only consulted a narrow range of stakeholders like automakers and technology companies to produce this flawed legislation. See our blog post here. Portland’s AV policy and Seattle’s New Mobility Playbook are of regional interest if you’re studying up on this topic.

TIGER Grant Opportunity Announced
The U.S. Department of Transportation this week announced the opportunity for state and local stakeholders to apply for $500 million in discretionary grant funding through the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) program. The deadline to submit an application for the FY 2017 TIGER grant program is Monday, October 16. See USDOT’s site for more. Please let us know if your agency is going to apply!
T4A members applying for TIGER, don’t forget that as part of your membership, you are entitled to a free consultation with T4A senior policy advisor Beth Osborne who used to run the TIGER program for USDOT.

If your organization or agency has not yet become a member of T4A, here’s info about our membership program, which gets you access to additional web content, policy information, discounts to our events and deeper connections to our national network. If you are a member and have not yet gotten access to the members-only web portal, let me know.

Upcoming Events

Transportation & Communities Summit
Mon.-Tues., Sept. 11-12, Portland State University Campus

SSTI Webinar: Advancements in measuring bicycle and pedestrian accessibility
Tues., Sept. 12, 12pm, Register here.

TCC Transit Talks: Innovations in Access
Thurs., Sept. 28, 12-1pm, Seattle City Hall – Bertha Knight Landes Room

Washington State Rideshare Organization Annual Conference
Oct. 9-10, Wenatchee

2017 Walkable Washington Symposium
Wed., Oct. 18, Northwest African American Museum, Seattle

Thanks for all you do!
-Chris

--
Chris Rall, Program Manager, Pacific Northwest
chris.rall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxph: 971-230-4745