The Thompson Shelter's large size and central location within the Park make it one of the most popular shelters in the Park. It includes a children's play area, and is close to the horseshoe pits and restrooms. The Thompson Shelter is available to rent year-round.
|About the Thompson Shelter in the Avery Park & Natural Area|
|Capacity: 120 under the roof; 500 in the surrounding area|
(view shelter's location on Avery Park & Natural Area map) (PDF)
|Thompson Shelter Features:|
- Large barbeque
- Playground equipment including swings, balancing/step platforms, a sandbox, and a climbing wall
- Potable water via a sink
- 110V power outlets
- Automatic lights that come on at dusk
|Rental Times & Rates|
The Thompson Shelter is rented in 4-hour time blocks.
Your reservation time must include time to set up and tear down your
event. Your time block choices are 8 am to 12 pm; 1 pm to 5 pm;
and 6 pm to 10 pm. If you reserve more than one time block for
your event, the hour in between time blocks is offered at no additional
charge. Rates are:
fees are subject to change without notice. Additional fees/requirements
may apply, especially for activities or events outside of a standard
group gathering. Our staff can help you determine if these fees apply to
- Mondays - Thursdays: $55 per 4-hour block ($50 per 4-hour block for IRS-certified tax-exempt organizations)
- Fridays - Sundays and Holidays: $70 per 4-hour block ($55 per 4-hour block for IRS-certified tax-exempt organizations)
Optional Special Use Permits
Additional Options to Enhance Your Rental
- Softball, Horseshoe, Croquet & Volleyball Equipment: Equipment
sets for playing softball, horseshoes, croquet, and volleyball are
available for rent from the Avery Office for $10 per set, per day. A
$25 credit card deposit is required (fully refunded upon return of the
Ready to make your reservation?
Call the Parks & Recreation Avery Office at (541) 766-6918.
Explore Other Outdoor Rental Options:
Chintimini Park Rentals Plazas & Other Outdoor Spaces Otter Beach & Outdoor Pools Sports Fields