Flood Pic Gif

When developing or building within a natural hazard areas, it is important to take precautions and build in compliance with local codes, building codes, and FEMA regulations in order to protect your investment and your life. Responsible construction saves lives.


A Floodplain Development Permit (FLD) is required for any work conducted within the 100-yr Floodplain boundary.

The Floodplain Development Permit will require a separate permit application. This permit will be  reviewed concurrent with your other application or as a stand-alone application if the activity does not require an additional permit. FEMA requires the City to issue this FLD permit and there is no fee associated with it.

It is important to note that a Floodplain Development Permit is not just required for building permits, but also electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and excavation work being conducted within the 100-yr Floodplain. All work within the floodplain requires the new work to be constructed to floodplain design standards, including elevating to the design flood elevation. This includes "in kind" or "like-for-like" replacement of mechanical units. A licensed surveyor may be required to conduct a site survey and complete an elevation certificate that gets submitted to the City.

As an aside, if you currently obtain plumbing, mechanical or electrical permits online through the state's e-permitting system, obtaining a permit online for these specialty disciplines does not eliminate the obligation to verify the status of the100-yr Floodplain as it relates to your project site. If applicable, you must obtain a Floodplain Development Permit. An inspection cannot be conducted until the FLD permit is approved.

Useful Links:

FEMA Interactive Map

FEMA Map Service


Elevation Certificate Archive

Emergency Preparedness Links

Current Hazards & Emergency Response Efforts


Willamette River Alert RSS Feed: