At it's September 2, 2014 meeting, the City Council adopted the following Guiding Principles for Public Engagement:
- Collaborative Decision Making - Enhance and support community-driven democracy in city government. Ensure that all participants listen and attempt to understand different viewpoints.
- Diversity – Seek input from all viewpoints, backgrounds, and philosophies. Treat each person with dignity, fairness, and respect.
- Openness and Respect - Promote fair, open and respectful processes that allow all who are interested or affected to have an equal opportunity to participate.
- Inclusiveness - Create a variety of ways for community members to participate and influence decisions.
- Accountability - Use decision-making processes that are transparent and that create decisions that can be tracked with clearly defined responsibilities