This FAQ is provided to help you understand the judicial process. We have tried to answer some of the most frequently asked questions. If you have a specific question about your case that has not been answered here, please call the Municipal Court Office at (541) 766-6948.


What is a violation? What is a misdemeanor?

A violation is a minor infraction in which punishment is limited to a fine only. A misdemeanor is a minor crime in which punishment is limited to imprisonment of up to one year, a fine or both.

Can I have a court appointed attorney?

You may request a court appointed attorney at your arraignment date. Keep in mind, however, that only misdemeanor charges qualify. You will be required to fill out an affidavit that states your financial status. The court will then decide if you qualify.

Can I get a copy of my case?

Yes. You need to go to or call the City Attorney's Office at 456 SW Monroe Avenue, Suite 101, Corvallis, Oregon 97333 and request a copy of the police report. This is known as "Discovery" and there is a $20.00 fee. Please call the City Attorney's Office at (541) 766-6906 for more information.

Where can I get a copy of an ordinance?

The City Recorder at City Hall has all ordinances and you may request a copy. There is a 25¢ per page copy fee.

Please contact the City Recorder at (541) 766-6901 for more information. You may also go to the Public Library (645 NW Monroe, Corvallis, Oregon, 97330) where the Library staff can assist you in locating specific ordinances.

Can the Clerk at the counter take my pleas or reduce my fine?

The Municipal Court does offer a violations Bureau in traffic cases for non-moving violations. You must contact the court to see if your citation would qualify to be handled by the clerk.

Can I speak to the Judge in private?

No. In order to remain fair and impartial to all people, the Municipal Court Judge must discuss all cases while acting in his official capacity as Judge, in the courtroom during regularly scheduled court times.

Can I talk to the Judge in person or by telephone?

The Judge does not discuss cases in person or over the phone. The Judge only handles court matters in the courtroom during regular arraignment times or by mail.
Back to Top

What is an an arraignment?

An arraignment is the first appearance before a court to answer to a charge. When you receive a citation, you must enter a plea of either guilty, no contest, or not guilty to the court. This entry of plea is done at arraignment.

What if I don't know what to do at an arraignment, how to plead or proceed?

The Municipal Court Judge can grant you a continuance for you to get legal advice. You must ask the judge, at the arraignment time set by the officer, to get additional time and to have a new date to appear assigned to you. Neither the Judge nor court staff can give you legal advice.

When do you have arraignments?

Arraignments are:
  • Mondays at 3:00 PM
  • Wednesdays at 8:30 AM & 3:00 pm
  • Thursdays at 8:30 AM

If I plead not guilty, when will my trial be?

Trials are only set for Wednesdays. Cases are set in advance about two months. If you plead not guilty today, your case will be set within approximately two months.

If I plead guilty, do I have to pay today?

Yes, if possible. If you need time to pay, be sure you ask the Judge when you enter your plea.

Can I change my initial court date?

It is possible to change your initial court date. You must contact the court office to make arrangements.

Can I change my trial date?

To get a trial date changed you must write a letter to the Judge requesting a continuance and the reasons why. Your letter must be received in the Court office within 10 days of receiving your trial notice.

Benton County Circuit Court

DMV Corvallis Field Office

Last updated: 8/24/2017 1:21:54 PM